It is a condition of my house insurance that I have a catalog of ALL my DVDs. I used to use a package called DVD profiler from invelos. After some digging I found my old licence key, which was upgraded for free to the latest version, they do a mobile version too, which means I can keep a copy on my PDA and know what DVDs I have next time I see any on offer (During that catalog I discovered I had two copies of memento and goonies). The software support bulk entry using a bar code scanner, which being a tech hoarder I have one stashed away which I acquired some time ago.
Now this is where the fun starts…..
Apparently bar code readers can be programmed, with pre amble and post amble characters, and various other options. This one seemed to be programmed to insert and ‘ESCAPE’ before the output and a ‘CR’ after, so in notepad it all looked fine, but the escape caused the data entry screen to ‘cancel’ DOH!
Time to RTFM for the scanner, to program the scanner, you scan special bar code from the programming manual.?? So print the manual, 10 Blank pages later, power cycle printer, 10 more blank pages, clean heads, 10 more blank pages, replace black ink, 10 more blank pages. DOH !!!!!!!
Of to the shops for a NEW printer, being a fully networked house hold it would be nice to have a network aware printer, and I hate trying to work out whats what from online reviews, so 5 shops and lots of box reading and helpless staff later, cheap Lexmark wireless printer from Sainsburys !
Print Manual, re program the reader, sorted.
Nah not that easy, some DVD barcodes have check digit, which is not sent by the reader, but it expected by the software, read the manual again, and enable check digit transmit,
Sorted, 350 Bar codes later. All done, 6 hours after I started !!!!!!!!!!!